Preferred Path Core Course
Communicating, Building Consensus and Resolving Conflict in Christian Communities
“. . . love which binds them all together in perfect unity” Colossians 3:14
Christians aren’t supposed to have conflicts, are they? It’s all happiness in our homes, no marital strife, and we get along perfectly with our children. Our churches are models of loving and respectful dialogue. Civility rules, with no hidden agendas, all transparent. Even at work, we just don’t get upset about problems with customers, coworkers, and vendors. We have no issues.
“You’ve got to be kidding!”
We do get upset, sometimes we separate, and it’s often not pretty. If you want to see venom, just listen to how some people talk about conflicts with their pastors, or others who have offended them in some way.
But we’d like to do better. We’d like to be the light of God’s kingdom, and not add to the darkness.
This course offers a way bring transformation to conflict situations. And even before that challenges in communication and problem-solving at home, in church, work, school, and in your neighborhood threaten mission and relationships.
Here you will find: proven tools, mini lectures that integrate guidance from Scripture with modern negotiation and mediation practice, and applications to real life with the Preferred Path Conflict Game!
Format: DVD based with practical exercises, manuals, and performance tools.
Instructors: Facilitator Manual gives step by step instructions for any lay leader to facilitate the course.
Materials: Preferred Path Facilitator Kit (DVD, manuals, thumb drive with handouts, Preferred Path Conflict Game), Preferred Path Participant Kit (materials for 15 people).
- What is the Preferred Path (and do I really need this)?
- The Conflict Grid (a tool for every step of the way).
- Communicating well (strategies for difficult conversations).
- Poles apart (‘You’ll never get these two together!’).
- Resolving conflict (standard solutions in interpersonal peacemaking).
- Integrating the Preferred Path into Church and Family life (how to keep denial, court, and power plays from ruining your life).